Yields: 1 Serving
OMG… this cutlet tastes so divine. I was little skeptical when I picked up the sweet potatoes from the grocery store. But I knew what I had to do with this. I thought of blending the orangish and sweetish sweet potato and the bitterish and greenish methi leaves(fenugreek leaves/vendhaya keerai) with some flavorful Indian spices and bake it in the oven to make luscious cutlets. Sounds mouth watering isn’t it?
How it tasted?
If you want to know how it tasted, the cutlets you see in the pic are the last 3 pieces that I saved it from my hubby to click pictures during daylight. They tasted super delicious and we literally licked the plate I would say it was a concoction of different taste: hotness from green chili, sweetness from sweet potatoes, bitterness from fenugreek leaves, tanginess from Amchur Powder, sweet and pungent taste from fennel seeds. It also smelt like parupu vadas due to the presence of fennel seeds. You can avoid using fennel seeds if you don’t like to chew it in your cutlet. But I loved the flavor of baked fennel seeds. Trust me it had an awesome flavor. Also I guess baking and presence of sweet potatoes helped to reduce the bitterness of Methi leaves. The bitterness was only a background taste.
This goes all the way to Siri’s blog for the JFI-Fennel Seeds event. JFI is the brainchild event of Indira of Mahanandi and it stand for Jhiva for Ingredients. This cutlets are apt for this event as I have developed Jhiva for Fennel Seeds and Sweet Potatoes.
Recently I read a wonderful article on Fenugreek in DK’s Chef in you blog. Check out her space to learn the basics, benefits and how to use the various forms of fenugreek in your everyday cooking.
For the uses and benefits of Sweet potatoes, check out this link.
- Boil Sweet Potatoes
- In a pressure cooker, add salt and water to cover 1/3 the length of sweet potato and cook it for 3 whistles. 2 whistles should be good if you don’t want it to be very tender. Once the steam releases open the lid, drain the water and allow it to cool. Then peel the skin off. Baking
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Take a large baking try(I have used cookie try) and drizzle some oil or cooking spray.
- Spread it all over.In a large bowl, add sweet potatoes and mash it with your hands or a potato masher.
- Add finely chopped onions/shallots, methi leaves, green chili, salt and mix.
- Add rest of the ingredients except bread crumbs and oil. Mix it well.Divide it in equal parts and make small lemon size balls.