“Chocolate symbolizes, as does no other food, luxury, comfort, sensuality, gratification, and love.” – Karl Petzke
Have you ever wondered why chocolate is related to romance or love. I was perplexed enough to dig to its roots. Well the mayans used and abused cocoa. Their favorite drink was made out of it and served during marriage, birth and death. They had found that this magic ingredient can boost the fertility of a woman and play around with our harmones to change our mood for good. Well let me not get into the nitty-gritty’s and make myself and you uncomfortable. But take it from me that dark gooey chocolate is really good for you. If you don’t believe me take a peek into this slideshow.
Kids growing up in America have something for the second star ingredient of this recipe, Marshmallows it is. Apparently the grownups like it too. I never knew what this spongy stuff tasted like until I ate the first bite of this gooey chocolaty S’mores made on a grilling night. Instantly I fell in love with it. I believe the dark chocolates did something nice to this white spongy stuff along with the graham crackers.
Well I can’t get enough with these white spongy stuff
Any recipe can be tweaked to make it look more appetizing. That is how it got transformed in to S’mores on a stick. This is such a cool recipe that you can make zillion variations out of it. You can go either a fancy or healthy route depending on your needs (See recipe notes). I have made this several times for potlucks and it has never let me down. Both adults and kids can’t stop with one. Kids come to me and tell that this tastes out of the world and they want more. It gives me a sense of pride that I could make their tummy growl with happiness. And with minimal assistance even kids can whip up this dessert.
I have made several variations but I love the Nuttilicious S’mores on a stick. Nuts and Chocolates marry well and they kind of create a good feeling in your mouth. However the husband is allergic to nuts especially if they are old. And I have to exercise caution using them. So I always end up making them with Graham crackers or any cookie that is available at home. And for potlucks/parties I make both the nuts and graham cracker/cookie version just to ensure that those allergic to nuts can enjoy this sweet treat.
- Melt chocolate using double boiler method or using MV (See the bottom of the instructions to know how)
- In a zip lock place the sugar cookies and crush them using a spatula(even a small bowl works). Transfer it to a bowl. Repeat the same with pecans. Handle them one at a time if you know anyone is allergic to nuts (my husband does)
- Spear marshmallows onto a bamboo fork. Dip it in melted chocolate until all sides are coated. Let the excess chocolate drip
- Roll them in crushed sugar cookies or pecans. Place them on a separate plate
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve How to melt chocolate using Double Boiler Method
- Take chocolate chips in a heat resistant metal or glass bowl. Ensure that the bowl fits correctly on top of the sauce pan. In a sauce pan heat water on a medium heat. When you see steam popping out place the chocolate chip bowl. You can see that chocolate starts melting immediately. Stir it occasionally. When it is 90% melted remove it from heat and stir until all chocolate is melted. Ensure that the water beneath doesn't touch the bowl directly or the chocolate doesn't come in contact with water at any time. How to melt chocolate using Microwave
- Take a microwave safe bowl. Place the bowl in Microwave and heat it for 30 seconds. If it is still rock solid, stir and MV for another 10 or 20 seconds. Notes
- I have made this using Sugar cookies and graham crackers. Both tastes equally good. You can also use digestive biscuits or any shortbread cookie
- You can play around this recipe using nuts. I have made this using pecans, walnuts and almonds
- If you like to take a fancy route you can use sprinkles. My sugar cookies did have sprinkles on top
- If you like to take healthy route feel free to use toasted wheat germ, sesame seeds, flax seeds, chia seeds
- I love dark chocolate. Period. I believe the bittersweet chips balances the sweetness of marshmallow. Feel free to use semi sweet or white chocolate as per your preference
- If you are making it for little ones use paper straws or lollipop stick
- Marshmallows are made out of gelatin. Look for vegan ones if you are making it for vegetarians. Also look for Non-GMO if you care about it.
- You can also make marshmallows at home