What comes to your mind first when you think about Summer. I get reminded of those long summer break, watermelons, cantaloupes, mangoes and lots and lots of heat. Today I get to enjoy everything that belongs to this season but the “Summer Break” (deep breath and rewind…….)
As soon as we finish our last exam, I rush home and start packing my clothes. I literally can’t wait for those few days before we leave to our Parent’s hometown (Yes, The Mango City). I used to get excited about everything, right from packing food, taking an auto to the station, boarding the train, buying Mango Frooti (a popular drink in India) and other snacks during the 6 hours journey, sitting close to the window and gazing at the sceneries, meeting my relatives and the list grows. If you read my earlier post, you would know how I got pampered by my grandparents, aunts and uncles.
I was the one and only grand kid in the family 😉 so I got all their attention. My Aunt and grandma used to cook everything I loved. Aunt, her friends and I used to visit the near by theaters and catch up the latest movies and I used to eavesdrop their gossips too ;-), though I never understood any of them. Then my Aunts got married, my little cousins came into our family and happiness and pampering multiplied. I literally longed to visit my little darling brothers and sisters. Life didn’t stop it moved on and we grew older. Things did not remain the same. My studies and later work prevented me from visiting them often.
I sometimes feel guilty for not taking time and visiting them. I got so engrossed in work and stopped enjoying the little things around me. But yes I have realized it.
There are no more Summer breaks in my life unless I want to take one deliberately. Am I sounding corny huh? Ok, tell me how is summer treating you and what are you doing to beat this heat. I am counting on my swimming pool , summer fruits and lemonade. I am so thankful that I found this excellent recipe in Taste of Home website. This is definitely a keeper.
How it tasted
Well I have already made 4 batches of lemonade this Summer. It doesn’t stay long in our home. I am sure I will make more before the Summer ends. Having this syrup in refrigerator is a bliss. The sun has been really harsh and it is insanely humid outside. As soon as we get home we mix it up with some * water add some ice cubes and gulp it. OMG, It instantly chills us and the feeling is really really great. The best thing is I can create gazillion flavors out of this basic and “the best” lemonade syrup.
- Wash the lemons thoroughly in running water. Before cutting it into half, place it on a flat surface and roll it with your palm. This will help it to loosen up and yield more juice.
- Cut the lemons and squeeze the juice. Strain and discard the seeds. Measure. Ensure that you have exactly 1 cup of lemon juice.
- In a separate sauce pan boil water. When the water starts to roll, remove from heat and add sugar. Stir it well. The water will look cloudy. Thats ok. Keep stirring for a while. Allow it to cool.
- Then add lemon juice, stir it well.
- Voila, you have the basic lemonade syrup ready. Now you can play with it and create gazillion flavors out of it.