Spring onions/Scallions are predominantly used in Chinese recipes. I had never heard about spring onions in poriyal/stir fry before my Aunt prepared it for me. It tasted so good that I asked my amma to make it. Then on I have had it many times. Spring onion is rich in fibers, low in fat and cholesterol and hence it helps in losing weight. This dish can be prepared in jiffy and served with rotis, rice and sambar/rasam .
Update: You can have a bowl of this as such and it will make a delicious and healthy SBD Phase 1 meal.
- Wash the spring onions thoroughly in warm water. Chop the roots and discard it. Amma says that we shouldn’t discard the onions in the bottom as they are equally nutritious. I use it as a replacement for the regular onions in this preparation.
- Chop the spring onions.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, when it splutters add cumin seeds and curry leaves.
- Now add the chopped onions that we obtain from the spring onion. Fry it for a minute and then add the chopped spring onions.
- Add salt, chili powder and saute.
- Add eggs and fry it for 4-5 minutes until it gets in to bhurji consistency. Add oil as you fry. It prevents the egg from sticking to the pan.
- Remove from flame.