Seven years ago I landed in this country without knowing what lied ahead of me. As a newly wed I only had fancy dreams and hopes that this country could offer. As the days passed dreams faded and the reality surfaced. Not knowing anyone other than my husband kind of haunted me. But the economy recuperated and I found a job that I was looking for. That certainly brought tons of changes in our lives. We moved from the Big apple to a quaint little town surrounded by scenic farms. Time flew and I got adjusted in this foreign land.
Working in different places I made many friends from whom I learned quite a lot both Professionally and Personally. Among them there were few die hard foodies. We used to have drool-worthy conversations over lunch that motivated me to try new ingredients and cuisines. In one such conversations I was introduced to Brussels Sprouts by a sweet heart friend of mine. She didn’t stop there but cooked and brought it for lunch another day. With little hesitation I gulped one and soon I polished off the entire box.
When I googled to find the oven temperature I bumped into Ina’s Roasted Brussels Sprouts recipe. Inspired by that I have made this Roasted Brussels sprouts several times for my friends and family. They fell in love with it with the very first bite. When I am not roasting I incorporate them in my omelette, fritata or stir fries.
If you need convincing facts to try Brussels sprouts then read this top 8 reasons why you should include Brussels sprouts in your diet 3
1. It is a powerhouse of nutrients like Iron, Potassium, Protein and Vitamin C & K.
2. Cholesterol-Lowering (when eaten raw or steamed).
3. Detoxifies and protects from Cancer.
4. May not affect Thyroid like other Cruciferous vegetables.
5. Rich in Antioxidants and Omega-3 fatty acids.
6. Lowers the risk of heart problems.
7. Prevents Inflammation.
8. Aids in digestion and prevent the bacterial growth that affects the stomach lining.
Consuming Brussels sprouts 2-3 times a week could do wonders to your overall health. Go grab a bag of Brussels sprouts and start cooking.
Spicy Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts
An amazingly simple recipe that needs only 5 ingredients + Love to make anyone eat Brussel Sprouts.
- Preheat Oven to 400F / 205C
- Wash Brussels sprouts thoroughly. Cut them in halves discarding the stem/thick ends and any leaves that aren't green.
- In a bowl add olive oil, salt, habenero sauce and toss Brussels sprouts until combined.
- Spread them on a baking pan without touching each other.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until browned and crispy. Add an extra 5 minutes for an ultimate crispy Brussels sprouts.
- Pull them out of the oven. Add generous squeeze of lemon juice. Toss and serve hot. Notes
- Habanero sauce - Replace Habenero sauce with Siracha / Red Chili sauce or pepper. If you can't handle heat dash of habanero sauce is sufficient to make it zesty.
- Lemon juice - Lemon or Lime. It doesn't matter. Usually I squeeze half a lemon on the brussel sprouts. More doesn't hurts. But you can always adjust as per your taste.