It is finally getting warmer in this part of the world. The trees and grass look lush green again and it is a sight to rejoice. I am more jubilant because my parents are here with us. Little one and I have been pampered and it has given me some time to breath peacefully. It is surely a good sign because I can make sometime to blog.
When I get back home in the twilight Munchkin usually says ‘give me something’ Amma. (It is not that I make her starve. I do give her a snack to eat, okay?) On one such day I picked up a handful of Peanuts and Oats threw them in the blender and pulsed them with jaggery to make this uber nutritious bites/laddoos. Because I knew they are good for the family as per my books. Btw, any eatable that is round in shape is lovingly called as laddoo in the country I grew up so never mind.
Peanuts can be eaten as a meal by itself and it was one of the sought out ingredient by the yogis. It is said that they lived just by eating peanuts (probably most of the times). However there is a catch. It is recommended that we soak peanuts 6-7 hours in warm salted water, dehyrdate/sun-dry and consume. This process helps to get rid of the Pitta(as per Ayurveda) or neutralize enzyme inhibitors and phytic acid (as per modern science). Peanuts consumed this way are easier to digest, tastes great also it helps to prevent nausea and rashes. This is applicable to all nuts, grains and legumes. Usually legumes are soaked in acidic solution (water+lemon juice/vinegar) to get rid of the phytic acid(Thanks to DK of Chefinyou for this tip). For more reading click here.
Alright are you with me that this is indeed an uber nutritious bite aka laddoo. And the good news is it just needs 3 ingredients and less than 15 minutes to prepare.
- Gently roast rolled oats for 10-20 seconds.Keep it aside. Roast Peanuts until slightly golden brown. Let it cool. Combine Oats and Peanuts in a blender/food processor and pulse until coarse. Add honey or jaggery. Pulse 4-5 times until combined
- Transfer it to a plate. Take a spoonful in your palm and press it firmly to bring them together. The warmth of your hand and the essential oils from peanut will help it to shape into a ball. Repeat the process. Store in an airtight container. Notes
- Jaggery/Honey - : Please adjust the quantity of jaggery/honey as per your needs. We personally prefer 3 tbsp Jaggery or 2 tbsp Honey. Though I love honey I personally prefer to make these bites with jaggery
- Peanuts - I roast peanuts and store them for making instant chutneys.
- Roasted Oats - Likewise we can roast oats and store them for a month or two. Plain rolled oats will work as well. I use the plain rolled oats most of the times
- Add cardamon for an extra flavor burst
- Add flax seeds or any other nuts as per your choice
- Double or triple the recipe as per your need.