One of my colleague brought some vada like stuff during lunch. She said it is a Bhopal specialty and they call this golden mung bean fritters as Mangodae. It tasted so great that I was tempted to pick up the recipe from her. Many thanks to my colleague and her mom for sharing such a wonderful recipe with me.
- Soak moong dhal overnight. It is good to grind when the skin peels off from moong.
- In a blender coarsely grind moong dhal without adding water.
- In a bowl, add the moong dhal batter, finely chopped or grated ginger, pepper powder, chili powder, finely chopped green chili, salt, cumin seeds, garam masala and mix it well. Leave the batter to ferment for an hour. Frying
- Heat oil in a kadai (you will need 2 cup of oil for small kadai).
- Take a spoon full of moong dhal batter and drop it in the oil just like you would do for frying appam or vadas.
- Flip it when the bottom is cooked, repeat flipping until it turns golden brown. When the crackling noise of the oil reduces remove and put it on the kitchen towel or napkin for the excess oil to get absorbed. You can fry 4-5 mangoodae’s in each batch. Serving
- Serve it with Tomato ketchup or Green(mint/coriander) chutney.