I am so obsessed with Pineapple Rice that I came up with another recipe. You can find my previous version of Pineapple Rice here. This one is pretty much close to what I had in my cousin’s wedding. Hope you relish it as I did 🙂
Basmati Rice – 1 cup (You can also use Sona Masori/Raw/Boiled Rice)
Pineapple chopped – 1 cup ( 1 x 1.5 cm) , you might need 3 round slices for 1 cup (peel the skin and remove the thorn like stuff)
Onion – 1 1/2 tbsp chopped or 1/4 of a small onion
Green Chili – 5
Ginger/Inji – 1/2 tsp chopped
Salt to taste
Oil – 2 tbsp
Mustard Seeds/Kadugu – pinch
Cumin Seeds/Jeera/Jeeragam – pinch
Asafoetida/Hing/Perungayam – pinch
Turmeric Powder/Manjal Podi – 3 pinch
Curry Leaves/Karuveipilai/Karuveipaku – 4
Boil the rice in a rice cooker/pressure cooker until it is 90% done (usually 2 or 3 whistles in a pressure cooker). You will need 1 – 1 1/4 cup of water to cook the rice.
You can also add 8-10 cup of water, add rice and boil it until it is 90% cooked. Drain the water using a strainer/sieve/conventional method.
In a pan, add oil. When it hot, add mustard seeds and let it splutter. Add cumin seeds, hing, curry leaves, green chili, turmeric powder and saute for few seconds.
Add chopped onions and saute for 2 minutes on a medium flame.
Add pineapple, 1 tbsp of water and cook for 5 minutes on a low flame. Crush the pineapple slightly as you cook.
P.S: Reduce green chili’s if it is prepared for kids or if you want the dish to be mildly spiced.
Mixing it with Rice:
Add atleast 2 cup of boiled rice and mix it with the sauce (Just like how you make lemon rice or puliyogare)
Let it stay for a while and then serve. This allows the rice to absorb the flavor of pineapple.
- Divya Vikram’s ‘Show me your lunchbox‘ as this was cooked for our weekday lunch meal.
- Sharmi’s ‘CFK-Veggies and Fruits’ event hosted by Lakshmi Venkatesh as it contains fruits and I believe that kids will love it..
- Sunitha’s ‘Think Spice: Think Turmeric‘ event hosted by Sudeeshna as this dish gets its color from the turmeric we add.
- Srilekha’s ‘EFM Theme-Variety Rice Series‘ event as this falls in the Variety Rice category.
- Sanghi’s ‘FIL-Fruits‘ event.