Growing up in the suburbs of India I wasn’t exposed to western food until I stepped out to attend college in the city. Our everyday meal was a typical South India fare sprinkled with few other Indian cuisines once in a while. The one and only cheese I knew was paneer, the Indian version of cottage cheese. Beyond that my vocabulary never developed until I read the book ‘Who moved my cheese’ by Spencer Johnson. That is when I was introduced to Cheddar, Brie and the Cheese heaven on earth. I was fascinated and jealous at Sniff and Scurry who could gobble those slightly spicy Cheddar and Brie and stay happy all the time.
Years flew and I finally landed in the Big apple where I could find multiple cheese heavens. Starting from fresh mozzarella I slowly started trying them one at a time.
I mostly buy cheese from Trader Joes as I find it cheaper, reliable and dandy followed by Whole Foods. More than half of my family loves 1000 day Gouda Cheese from Trader Joes. One of the storekeepers recommended this cheese to me and we have been hooked to it since then. I have found that Gouda goes well with everything and it is part of most of our family favorite dishes that call for Cheese.
This recipe has everything that is good for you: Sprouted Whole wheat loaves, Mushrooms, Pineapple and the star of this recipe “Gouda”. It is even better because they can be made under 30 minutes. I could have lived with just a plain grilled cheese sandwich but there is a reason why it has pineapples and mushroom. As a family we adore this fruit and mushrooms are rich in Vitamin D. People living in Northern hemisphere are prone to Vitamin D deficiency and it is quite important for us to get enough exposure to sun or eat Vitamin D rich food like Oily Fishes, Mushroom, Tofu or Fortified Dairy and Cereals. I prefer the first 3 compared to the fortified ones. Feel free to substitute the bread and cheese as per your liking and it will still taste equally good.
- 2 tsp Oil
- 3/4 cup or 6 medium size Organic White mushroom, roughly chopped [See Notes]
- 3/4 cup sliced pineapple
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp Coconut Sugar or Brown Sugar
- 2 tsp Siracha (Less or more as per your taste)
- 1/2 tbsp butter
- 6 Sprouted Whole Wheat bread Slices [See Notes]
- 1/2 cup shredded Gouda Cheese [See Notes]
- In a skillet add oil. Add roughly chopped mushrooms and saute followed by sliced mushrooms
- Add Salt, Siracha and let it blend
- Add Coconut Sugar, stir and let is caramelize on a medium flame 3-4 minutes. Turn the heat off.
- On a meidum low heat preheat the cast iron griddle/skillet. You can do this step in parallel with previous steps.
- Smear butter and place 2 bread slices in the skillet
- Add more butter, flip and add the toppings and cheese. Top it with the other bread slice and let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Flip and cook until the cheese it melted for another 2-3 minutes or until golden brown
- Repeat. Serve it with your favorite soup for dinner or just as a pick me up sandwich for lunch or snack.
- Use any type of muhsroom of your choice
- Sprouted Whole Wheat bread Slices
- Again feel free to use any bread of your choice
- Gouda Cheese
- Replace it with cheese of your choice
- Coconut Sugar
- I am deliberately trying to cutdown refined sugar from our diet. Hence I have used unrefined Coconut sugar.
- If you would like you can use regular brown sugar or cane sugar for caramelization
Step by Step Instructions
In a skillet add oil. Add roughly chopped mushrooms and saute followed by sliced mushrooms and salt.
On a meidum low heat preheat the cast iron griddle/skillet. You can do this step in parallel with previous steps.
Smear butter and place 2 bread slices in the skillet
Add more butter, flip and add the toppings and cheese. Top it with the other bread slice and let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
Flip and cook until the cheese it melted for another 2-3 minutes or until golden brown
(Collage inspiration: Damndelicious)
The Heritage Cook: Gluten-Free Croque Monsieur Sandwiches
In Jennie’s Kitchen: Homemade Pizza Pockets
Food for 7 Stages of Life: Best Caramelized Mushroom and Pineapple Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Dishing With Divya: Egg and Mushroom Cheese Sandwich
The Cultural Dish: Croque Monsieur and Madame
Weelicious: Grilled Cheese Pickle Panini
Swing Eats: Mind-Blowing Grilled Cheese: Sriracha Ketchup, Kettle Potato Chips, Pickles, Sharp Cheddar (gluten-free)
Red or Green: Cheddar, Peppadew & Basil Panini
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Inside/Outside Grilled Cheese with Bacon, Avocado & Sundried Tomatoes
Taste with the Eyes: Grilled Halloumi Cheese Salad, Savory Meyer Lemon Whipped Cream
Creative Culinary: Inside Out Grilled Cheese with Tomato
The Mom 100: Fork in the Road: Great Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Daily*Dishin: Grilled Cheese Italian Style: Pepperoni and Parmesan Crust
FN Dish: 6 Gooey Grilled Cheeses You Can’t Live Without