Have you ever developed an aversion to a food that you ate growing up? It has happened to me quite a few times especially because the ingredient was cooked in an unpleasant and unappetizing manner. Couple of years ago I decided to make Mushroom soup and put them all in a blender to grind. I thought I will be able to produce gourmet quality soup at home. But I was wrong. I screwed it up in such a way that the smell of mushroom turned me off completely. Since then I never ate mushroom. But something changed and I started craving mushrooms again.
This time I didn’t want to mess it up but I knew what I wanted to make out of it. A burger. That is how I ended up bumping into this recipe online. I have tweaked it to try gazillion combinations and it has never failed me. It is juicy, slightly chewy and the texture is just like how a meaty burger would look like. Those who crave meat burgers will never ever look back because you will certainly get hooked to it once you taste it for the first time. This is definitely a goto game day or a party food.
- 3/4 tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz or 250 gms roughly chopped (combination of crimini and white button, see notes)
- 1 cup finely chopped onion or 1 medium size onion
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2-3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan
- 1 tbsp shredded Gouda (see notes)
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs (see notes)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp dried parsley flakes
- Few sprig Cilantro (Optional)
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp Paprika (See Notes)
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder (Optional)
- 1 tbsp Oil for frying
- For Habanero Greek Yogurt Sauce
- 1/4 cup Yogurt
- Few drops of Habanero sauce (they are extremely spicy)
- 1 tsp Honey (Optional)
- Heat up a heavy cast iron skillet or a pan on a medium flame. Add 3/4 tbsp oil
- When it hot add finely chopped garlic, sauté until it turns golden brown
- Add finely chopped onion and sauté until translucent
- Add chopped mushroom, 1/4 tsp salt and sauté until all the water shed by mushroom dries up, 6-8 minutes approx.
- In a small bowl beat an egg using a fork until frothy
- To the Mushroom mixture, add oats, parmesan and gouda cheese, bread crumbs, dried parsley, cilantro, pepper powder, oregano, paprika, cumin powder, salt per taste. Mix well and allow it to rest 10-15 minutes. This will allow the flavors to get incorporated
- Refrigerate the mixture as is or after shaping it into patties for another 15 minutes
- In a hot skillet add 1 tbsp Olive Oil. Carefully place the patties and fry them on a medium flame for 4-5 minutes approx on each side until it turns golden brown
- For the habanero sauce : Combine greek yogurt, habanero sauce and honey. Allow it to sit for 10 mins letting the flavors to marry
- On a (mini) hamburger spread the sauce, place the patties and serve. You can add pickles/onions /spinach or even a slice of cheese in between
- I have made this using white button mushrooms and I can't find much difference in taste. They both taste good.
- If gouda is not available, add another tbsp of parmesan or your favorite cheese.
- You can use regular or seasoned breadcrumbs.
- I have added paprika to add little more spice to this burger. You can also substitute it with red chili powder or just make patties without them
- While buying cheese ensure that you are buying the vegetarian ones. Personally it doesn't matter for us but for those who care read the ingredient list
Step by Step Instruction
Do not forget to checkout what other Comfort Fest friends have cooked. Jeanette’s Healthy Living: Gluten-Free Maryland Crab Cake Sliders The Heritage Cook: Italian Sliders with Fried Polenta and Marinara Sauce Feed Me Phoebe: Thai Chicken Sliders with Sriracha Mayo Elephants and the Coconut Trees: Shredded Beef Sliders Haute Apple Pie: Easy Pan Cheeseburger Sliders Devour: Pick Your Slider Stuffing for Super Bowl Dishin & Dishes: Philly Cheesesteak Sliders Blue Apron Blog: 5 Tricks to a Great Slider Weelicious: Mexican Chicken Sliders Taste With The Eyes: Classic Chicago-Style Polish Sausage Sliders Virtually Homemade: Meatball Sliders Napa Farmhouse 1885: Buffalo Sliders with Bacon & Cheddar Red or Green: Buffalo Chicken Sliders with Bacon & Celery The Sensitive Epicure: Arepas — The Ultimate Gluten-Free Slider with South American Flair Domesticate Me: Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Meatball Sliders Daily*Dishin: Italian Roast Beef-Smoked Almond Creamy Cheesy Sliders FN Dish: Super Sliders