I wanted to make Sakkarai Pongal for Navarathri, but then thought I can make something different. So came the Aval Pongal recipe.
- Aval/Poha – 1 cup
- Milk – 3/4 cup
- Jaggery – 1/2 cup
- Raisins – 15
- Cashew – 10
- Dates(deseed and chop) – 10 [optional]
- Cardamon Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Pachai Karpuram – 1 pinch
- Vanilla extract – 2 drops [optional]
- Badam(chopped) – 5 [optional]
- Ghee – 1/2 cup
- Wash aval with water.
- Heat ghee in a sauce pan and fry raisins,badam and cashews until the color changes. Remove them from the pan.
- Add milk, when it starts boiling add aval and jaggery.
- Add ghee.
- When Aval starts thickening, add cardamon powder, pachai karpuram, vanilla extract, dates, raisins, cashews and badam.
- Mix it for 2-3 minutes and remove it from flame.
I couldn’t take a nice picture of this dish will post it when I prepare it next time.
* You can add or reduce jaggery and ghee according to your taste.